What Is A Metal Account?
There are two types of metal accounts with Chards:
- Digital gold and digital silver - "unallocated metal accounts"
- Vaulted gold and silver - "allocated and segregated metal accounts"
If you wish to purchase allocated and segregated metals, please follow this link to our vaulted storage page.
Large orders (over £30,000) will require a 10% deposit to be paid.
Customers are required to open an account with us and provide 2 forms of identification - read more about this by clicking here. Once we verify the documents your account is ready to use and you can purchase gold and silver the same day!
If you have any questions you can speak with a member of the team on 01253 343081 .
Buy Digital Gold and Silver
Chards metal accounts allows simple, convenient exposure to the live price of gold and silver through what is regarded as perhaps the cheapest, most profitable investment vehicle in the precious metals market. With a metal account, Chards customers can invest in gold for just 1% premium over spot, with the option to sell your precious metals back to us at 100% of their market value.
You can use the following widget to buy digital gold and silver on account right now at 1% premium over spot at 0% VAT. Payment options include bank transfer, debit card, cheque and cash depending on the transaction value.
You can read more information below including our key facts section covering the important topics from the full terms of sale.
Key facts about buying digital gold and silver:
- Sold at 1% premium over spot.
- Chards will purchase any amount of troy ounces on your account for 100% of the live spot rate. Payment is usually set up the same day and we ask that you check with our team on the day.
There are no storage fees associated with digital metal.
- Digital metal is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Large orders (over £30,000) will require a 10% deposit to be paid.
- Buying digital metal gives you the right to take delivery of physical gold at a future date determined by you.
- If you wish to redeem your metal, you are required to pay a delivery premium. If you choose the product(s) you pay the live premiums on our site and if you ask Chards to select the items on your behalf the charge is a minimum of 5% for gold and 30% for silver. Further delivery costs apply should you wish for onward delivery to your address.
- Customers are required to have an account open with us and to pass our due diligence checks prior to any order being accepted. If you wish, you can set up an account by clicking here.
- The minimum order value is GBP 10, USD 10 or EUR 10.
- Our stock is fully insured by Lloyds of London and we are an award-winning bullion dealer with over 55 years' experience. We invite you to check our financials on Companies House, carry out your own due diligence or even pop in for a chat. (Appointment required during Covid-19).
- Digital silver is sold VAT free as delivery of physical bullion will be sent to allocated storage in Switzerland as standard. Any request for delivery within the UK will be subject to VAT on the live silver price at the time of delivery (20% for new and reduced amounts for special scheme). Customers who wish to import themselves are required to declare the goods to customs and pay any duty at the border.
- Please note digital metal account disposals which include selling into currency or buying physical products are a CGT liable transaction.
- If you opt for bank transfer when selling please note BACS processing times are between 0-3 days.
Why Digital Gold and Silver?
A digital gold or silver account is commonly referred to as "unallocated metal account". This means you are purchasing a number of troy ounces of metal without specifying the design, form, manufacturer etc therefore paying low premiums, avoiding storage costs and any delivery charges for the time you hold the metal.
Digital gold and silver can be offered to customers wishing to pre-fund larger purchases or to invest in gold and silver before deciding on what coin or bar to buy. Making smaller incremental payments into the account will also average the cost of your investment, protecting your wealth from excessive market volatility. Customers can even sell back to us and never take physical delivery of their metals, instead just benefitting from price exposure. We offer complete flexibility in liquidity, buying back the metals at 100% of their market value, or alternatively, take delivery of their holdings through specially selected stock, or their choice of our bullion bars and coins.
Buy Vaulted Gold and Silver
Bullion Products - "Buy with Storage"
Many investors choose to purchase their precious metals to be securely stored with a trusted party, saving costs in shipping, insurance whilst navigating the associated risks of physical ownership such as loss and theft. With 55 years in the bullion industry we have understood the concerns of our clients and the need to preserve their wealth beyond the initial transaction. All our best value products and gold and silver bars can be purchased online with storage here in Blackpool, with the metals then being secured in our safe within our strongrooms, all fully insured by Lloyds of London.
Most investment products on our site have an option to "Buy with Storage" located next to the "Add to Basket" button. By choosing this option you buy a particular product at a live premium which is allocated to you and then moved into vaulted storage. Below are two very popular products available for storage and you will find the available buttons are the same on any bullion product page.
Vaulted gold and silver are offered to customers who wish to have specific products allocated to them and stored in their own secure box in our strong rooms. This option is preferred by many of our physical bullion customers as we can take the hassle and cost out of home storage and cover all items on our insurance which is via Lloyds of London.
This type of account is often referred to as "allocated and segregated gold and silver".
There is another variation on allocated gold and silver accounts and you can read more on our page on "paper gold". This option allows you to buy shares within a larger pool of physical gold - currently Chards do not offer this service as we believe the 2 options cover our investor need. If you do see value in this option please let us know!
Benefits of Using Metal Accounts with Chards
Customer may find various uses for opening a metal account with us:
- Pre-funding a larger future deal by making multiple smaller payments which is often referred to as dollar-cost averaging*
- Treating the accounts as a savings account by making frequent deposits from surplus wages, savings or investments.
- Gaining exposure to the metal market without incurring the costs associated with the purchase of a specific item, postage or storage. We will always recommend transacting into physical bullion as we believe this to be the superior choice when investing in metals.
- Very low premiums - our digital gold and silver come in at a 1% buy premium and you can sell back to us at 100% of spot making the buy-sell spread a narrow 1%. For vaulted gold and silver, you pay the live premium on the day with 1 ounce gold coins prices starting from 2% and 1 ounce silver coins starting from 20%
- We manage our whole inventory and storage facilities which are insured by Lloyds of London. There are no further third-party risks and the arrangement is a simple two-party agreement between you and a bullion dealer with over 55 years' experience.
*Definition from Investopedia:
"Dollar-cost averaging (DCA) is an investment strategy in which an investor divides up the total amount to be invested across periodic purchases of a target asset in an effort to reduce the impact of volatility on the overall purchase. The purchases occur regardless of the asset's price and at regular intervals; in effect, this strategy removes much of the detailed work of attempting to time the market in order to make purchases of equities at the best prices. Dollar-cost averaging is also known as the constant dollar plan."
How Much Does It Cost?
We are very competitive on pricing and regularly carry out price comparisons of our services so if you do find cheaper options please let us know! Here is a summary of the various types of metal accounts and associated pricing:
Live 1% Buy and 0% Sell Premium
No storage fees
£10 / €10 / US$10 minimum order
*Minimum fees apply. You can read more on our page for vaulting services.
** We also offer VAT free storage of physical silver. Please visit our page on VAT free physical silver for more information.
***0% VAT is applied to delivery of silver products to Switzerland. If you opt for shipment to the UK, we will charge you 20% VAT at the live price at the time of delivery.
Using Your Metal Account Balance
You can use the balance of one or multiple accounts to transact into physical bullion and/or buy other services from Chards. In due course online customers will be able to use the balance as a payment option at checkout and in the short term we ask you call our team on 01253 343081 to arrange a deal.
At checkout your balances will be converted into a live monetary amount and you can use part or all of the balance as discount against a purchase. Please note the live value will be re-calculated at the final step of checkout and deducted from the total cost of the transaction and confirmed by a receipt and then an acceptance email once our team check the order.
Physical metal can then be shipped to your preferred delivery address or once again stored on site here in Blackpool and added to your account.
Can I sell My Metal Account Balance?
You can sell any metal you have on account back to Chards. Please review the table in "How Much Does It Cost" for more information and selling premiums. Alternatively, please call 01253 343081 and one of our team can provide more information.
Full Terms and Conditions
Full Terms of Sale for Physical Bullion - https://www.chards.co.uk/info/terms-of-sale
Full Terms of Vaulted Storage (Allocated and Segregated Metal Account) - https://www.chards.co.uk/info/storage-terms-of-sale
Full Terms of Purchase (selling to Chards) - https://www.chards.co.uk/info/terms-of-purchase
Full Terms for Digital Gold and Silver (Unallocated Metal Account) - https://www.chards.co.uk/info/metal-account-terms