Digital Gold and Silver Accounts
Use digital gold and silver for price exposure at only 1% over the live spot price.
DigitAul bullion allows investors to gain price exposure to gold and silver at low costs. These accounts are fully backed by physical coins and bars which are stored in vaults across the globe.
When you are ready, you can use the account balance to pay for any products or services, or even close your metal position converting back to GBP, USD or EUR.
We also offer savings accounts and vaulted storage in addition to digital bullion. If you are unsure which one is best for you please call customer service on 01253 343081 .
Buy Digital Gold and Silver
Payment options are bank transfer, debit card, cheque and cash depending on the transaction value.
Please note metal costs 1% (in troy ounces) to load your account which is refunded (as troy ounces) at the point of exchange into physical.
What You Need to Know
Key facts about our DigitAul allocated metal accounts:
- Loading metal onto account costs 1% (in troy ounces) which is refunded (in troy ounces) when you transact into physical metal.
- If you opt to sell rather than transact into metal, Chards will purchase any number of troy ounces on your account for 100% of the live spot rate.
- BACS payment is usually set up the same day if received by 1pm. Please note processing times are between 0-3 days.
- When available, the CHAPS same-day service is charged at £20 per transfer. Instruction must be received by 1pm.
- There are storage fees to pay and you can learn more by visiting the fees section of our storage page.
- Access your pre-funded account 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Large orders (over £30,000) require a 10% deposit to be paid and must be done during office hours (9am-4pm).
- Buying metal on a DigitAul account gives you the right to take delivery of physical gold at a future date determined by you.
- If you wish to redeem metal, you are required to pay a delivery premium. The most cost-effective option is for you to choose the products you want and use our online checkout.
- Further delivery costs (on top of the delivery premium) apply should you wish for onward delivery to an address.
- Customers are required to open an account and must provide identification as part of our onboarding process. An account can be set up by following this link to our customer accounts.
- The minimum order value is GBP 10, USD 10 or EUR 10.
- Our stock is fully insured by Lloyds of London and we are an award-winning bullion dealer with over 55 years' experience. We invite you to check our financials on Companies House, carry out your own due diligence or even pop in for a chat (appointment required during Covid-19).
Please note profits generated from disposals of the Digitaul accounts are a capital gains tax (CGT) liable transaction as such we recommend this product only where physical ownership (in the form of CGT exempt coins) is not practical. If CGT is a consideration for you please consider our vaulted storage in Blackpool or overseas.
If you wish to buy CGT exempt bullion for delivery or vaulted storage please visit our CGT exempt gold and silver coin category page.
Full terms for digital bullion accounts (allocated metal account) - https://www.chards.co.uk/info/metal-account-terms
Savings Account vs DigitAul Account
We offer a savings account which we recommend for low value and/or temporary use and an investment grade DigitAul metal accounts for medium to long term investments.
Our savings accounts are intended for short-term use or for customers who wish to deposit smaller sums to buy products or services in the future. Savings accounts are also used to navigate situations where banks restrict transfers to £10,000 per day, allowing customers to load up on troy ounces of metal which are then transacted into physical metal once the full balance is reached over many days.
We recommend DigitAul accounts for investors where large balances of digital bullion are desired over physical and you intend to hold for the medium to long term.
Savings accounts do not have any storage, insurance or delivery fees whereas DigitAul accounts have storage fees as your allocated bullion is stored in our vaults. The storage fees cover transport, vaulting and insurance and you can follow this link to our vaulted storage fees.
What Is Allocated Gold and Silver?
Contractually, if you buy metal on a DigitAul account you are purchasing what is known as 'allocated metal'.
This means you are buying into a pool of gold or silver that Chards has ownership over with the benefit of being able to take delivery of in line with the terms of sale. This means you are purchasing a number of troy ounces of metal (to 4 decimal places) without specifying the design, form, manufacturer etc, therefore paying low premiums.
Chards is contractually obliged to back all DigitAul balances with physical coins and bars. As physical coins and bars require vaulted storage there are fees to pay and this makes DigitAul accounts slightly more expensive than our savings account. If you are investing for the medium to long term we always recommend CGT free physical ownership and where this is not practical would we recommend digital bullion on a DigitAul account. Our savings accounts (unallocated metal) are for low value and short term use, and if you have any questions regarding which one may be best suited please get in touch on 01253 343081 (please note we cannot advise on which is the best investment choice and only provide information allowing you to reach a decision)
We are not financial advisers, and we would always recommend that you consult with one. We can only give advice on our best deals and information on our services. It is your decision as to which purchase is suitable for your budget and portfolio. We cannot predict with any certainty what silver, gold or any other commodity or currency will do over any length of time and neither can anyone else! Because of this, we tend to avoid giving any definite advice or strong opinion. There are some areas where we have considerable experience and feel we can safely give our thoughts. Some of it may appear obvious but we often find ourselves repeating it.
Full terms of sale for physical bullion (buying from Chards) - https://www.chards.co.uk/info/terms-of-sale
Full terms of purchase (selling to Chards) - https://www.chards.co.uk/info/terms-of-purchase
Full Terms of vaulted storage (allocated and segregated) - https://www.chards.co.uk/info/storage-terms-of-sale
Full terms for digital bullion (allocated and unallocated) - https://www.chards.co.uk/info/metal-account-terms