Gold SIPP & SSAS Pension
Customers who wish to add gold to their pension pots can buy investment gold bars from Chards. We are happy to work with any pension provider and can deliver your gold to UK or overseas vaults.
Physical Gold Pensions
Physical gold can be added to Self-Invested Personal Pensions (SIPP) for individuals who manage their own pensions, and Small Self-Administered Scheme (SSAS) pensions which are set up to manage pooled pension funds of a senior management team of a business.
Physical gold offers proven wealth protection over the long-term and more people are increasingly adding gold to their pension portfolios.
Physical Gold to Preserve Wealth
In January 1980 you could buy 1 oz of gold for just £358.65, 31 years later by September 2011, 1oz of gold was £1,182.82. At the time of writing this, gold is between £1,400-£1,500 for 1oz of gold. Gold is a fantastic 'chaos hedge' in times of global uncertainty and sought after in times of inflation which is currently running at a 40 year high. We do see other investments touted as 'hard assets' which means they are hard to produce and sought after as they tend to be scarce, durable and hold value well. Bitcoin for example, is flouted as a digital gold; yet the drawdown potential on portfolios is significant given its correlation with tech stocks and the S&P. Investing is as much about timing as it is fundamentals and hype and we believe gold is very well placed to preserve wealth over the long term, particularly for pensions.
Buying Gold From Chards
Investing in gold with Chards through your SIPP or SSAS will give you 100% control and an extra layer of security.
We will ensure that the gold purchased meets the investment gold criteria of pension funds and store the metal either in the UK or Swiss vaults.
We can arrange vaulted storage across the globe but the 2 forementioned locations are our most popular.
How Does it Work?
- Identify a SIPP or SSAS provider who can advise and support on the inclusion of investment gold to a pension.
- We are happy to signpost, or you are welcome to use your existing one.
- The provider will be required to open an account with us under the pension trust name.
- Upon account creation the pension trust will be able to buy and sell investment gold.
What is a SIPP?
A SIPP is a type of UK government-approved personal pension scheme that allows people to choose and manage their own investments.
- In 2006, UK Treasury allowed gold bullion to form part of a personal pension.
- Today physical gold bars are the only physical commodity that pension owners can purchase as part of their pension.
- On 15th June 2016, HMRC authorised pension savers to have gold bullion in any pension plans.
- SIPP's have grown rapidly from a niche to a mainstream pension scheme that over 500,000 people today that have a SIPP.
A SIPP contrasts to a typical pension portfolio which is usually an active or passive portfolio tracking various stocks, bonds, and indexes across the globe. Your control on the allocation of funds is limited and many opt for a 'lifestyle' product such as risk averse or risk on, and handover management to a portfolio manager. Up until recently there was a lot of trust in UK pension funds, this was until the Gilts meltdown hit the mainstream media headlines. Without intervention from the Bank of England huge numbers of UK pension savers would have lost their savings. Not to fear monger here but simply being aware of the risks is important to safeguarding your future.
What is a SSAS?
A SSAS is a type of UK occupational scheme that is a workplace pension and can be managed by the company that set it up.
- SSAS pensions are common in small or family-run businesses and are pension schemes are open to select employees.
- Any contributions a member makes to an SSAS pension are eligible for tax relief.
- HMRC adds £25 for every £100 you pay into your pension.
Why Should You Have a SIPP?
- Investment gold invested in your SIPP will be free from VAT and any profit on your investment will be CGT (Capital Gains Tax) free.
- At 55 you are eligible to receive an income from your SIPP.
- If the SIPP remains untouched and in the unfortunate case of death there is no inheritance tax due on the full value of the SIPP.
Which Products Are Suitable For Pensions?
Gold bullion will be investment gold in the form of bullion bars, All bars will be manufactured by reputable refineries around the world such as Metalor, Valcambi, and The Perth Mint. Each bar is allocated and segregated, and balances audited on an annual basis by Azets accounting firm.
All gold held at Chards is covered on our insurance and held in world class vaults.
Already Have a SIPP or SSAS?
Your existing provider should be able to buy and sell metal and if needs be transfer it to a provider who can help you. There may be admin costs involved so please do check with your provider on the small print.
Digital Metal Accounts
Our digital allocated gold accounts are backed 1:1 with investment gold bars. They can be added to your pension if your provider deems it a worthy asset to include.
This guide and its content is copyright of Chard (1964) Ltd - © Chard (1964) Ltd 2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited.
We are not financial advisers and we would always recommend that you consult with one prior to making any investment decision.