What Is Investment Gold
For the purpose of VAT exemption, "Investment Gold" is defined as:
- Gold of a purity not less than 995 thousandths that is in the form of a bar, or a wafer, of a weight accepted by the bullion markets;
- A gold coin minted after 1800 that-
- is of a purity of not less than 900 thousandths,
- is, or has been, legal tender in its country of origin, and
- is of a description of coin that is normally sold at a price that does not exceed 180% of the open market value of the gold contained in the coin; or
- A gold coin of a description specified in Notice 701/21A Investment gold coins.
VAT Exemption - As from 1st January 2000, investment gold became exempt throughout the entire EU.
You may wish to view all of our articles on our gold guide